The Region V Public Health Leadership Institute (RVPHLI) is an opportunity for professionals in public health and primary care to cultivate their capacity to influence change in their organizations and communities. This six-month virtual program is grounded in theory, coupled with practical application and peer-to-peer learning. RVPHLI will set a foundation for emerging leaders as well as strengthen skills for current leaders to recruit and retain a diverse workforce and engage cross-sector partners in addressing the social determinants of health. The program will run from January-June 2023. Participants will engage in a variety of learning activities, both live and self-paced, for a total of 40 contact hours. The estimated time commitment is 1-2 hours/week on average over 24 weeks.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to…
- Practice adaptive leadership skills to guide organizational, community, and systems change
- Apply strategies to foster a supportive workplace culture, particularly for BIPOC staff
- Identify approaches for creating a culture of learning within their agencies
It is our priority to engage a cohort of participants who are diverse, both personally and professionally. Participants will come from a range of disciplines within public health and primary care, and there is no requirement for a particular educational background.
RVPHLI is intended for those who are:
- Mid-career (5+ years in public health or primary care) or executive professionals
- Involved in some way in workforce development, community health strategy, and/or performance management
- In managerial, administrative, or clinical roles
- Working within state/local/tribal health departments or FQHCs & look-alikes
- Serving Medically Underserved Communities, rural areas, Health Professions Shortage Areas, or other high-need areas (e.g., identified by the Social Vulnerability Index)
NOTE: This program is only available to individuals within the Region V states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. The cohort will be limited to 36 people from across the region.
Participants apply as individuals. We also encourage representatives from both public health and primary care in the same community to apply to the same cohort.
The benefit to participants: RVPHLI is an opportunity for current and emerging leaders to both learn from and share with their peers while expanding their abilities to advance organizational, community, and systems change to ultimately improve population health outcomes.
The benefit to their supervisors/agency: RVPHLI is a no-cost, virtual opportunity to provide professional development and creative growth experiences to your staff, encouraging them to apply new insights to their current and future work at the agency.
To review additional program details, visit www.rvphtc.org/leadership-institute/
Applications are accepted until October 31, 2022, and selections are made by early December. Upon acceptance, participants will be asked to provide a letter of support from their supervisor.
There will be an optional info session on October 3 from 11:30-12 ET (10:30-11 CT). Register at https://forms.gle/TZrXzTtVKRJ7JrAT9