GovHR USA GovHR USA
Dubuque County, Iowa (pop. 99,266). Dubuque County is seeking a dynamic professional with strong communication skills for its Health Director (the “Director”) position. Under general direction of the Dubuque County Board of Health (BOH), the Director develops and implements essential public health services to improve the health of all Dubuque County citizens.
Located along the Mississippi River bluffs at the junction where Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin meet, the region known as the Tri-State Area takes great pride in its slogan “Masterpiece on the Mississippi”. The city of Dubuque is the oldest city in Iowa and is the core of a metropolitan service area for seven surrounding counties. Dubuque County is home to a diverse population of residents in 21 cities, including Dyersville and Cascade, each equally welcoming places to live, work and raise a family. The County is widely known as a center of manufacturing with an economy that grew rapidly and has since diversified to other areas early in the 21st century. The County has an impressive array of health care, education, tourism, publishing, and financial service options for residents and visitors.
About the Position
The Dubuque County Health Department was established in 1968 with a mission to protect, promote, and enhance the health and well-being of all people and the environment in Dubuque County. The Health Director reports directly to the Dubuque County Board of Health (BOH) and directs the Health Department in providing health services to residents in the county not living in the city of Dubuque over a 608 square mile area, including environmental health, public health nursing (contracted), and health education.
The Director coordinates assigned activities with other County departments and outside agencies, and provides support to the Board of Health. The Director manages an approximately $2 million operating budget in addition to about $370,000 in grants.
The Director currently oversees a department of 3 full-time staff and contracted services. However, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and other vital public health issues, the BOH and the Dubuque County Board of Supervisors are exploring options to grow the size and scope of services offered by the Health Department in the near term.
Some of the position’s specific duties include:
- Functions as the spokesperson for the BOH and the Public Health Department for Dubuque County.
- Leads the development of strategic plans and goals of the Public Health Department and BOH.
- Directly manages the performance and development of the staff of the Dubuque County Health Department and directs the relationships / contracts with health service providers.
- Provides fiscal leadership for county health initiatives through the development of a reasonable and sufficient budget.
- Coordinates and advocates for the growth of the department as necessary to meet the public, personal and environmental health needs of the county.
The County Board of Health is seeking an experienced and forward-thinking Director to lead its Health Department team. The successful candidate will have the following:
- Master's degree or higher in public health, health administration or other applicable field from an accredited college or university and experience in a public health program or an equivalent combination of education and experience is desired.
- A bachelor’s degree combined with four years of full-time administrative experience, of which at least two years are in public health may be substituted for a graduate degree. In addition, candidates must have a minimum of two years of full-time administrative experience in public health.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be insurable under county liability coverage. May be required to use personal vehicle for official business and provide evidence of appropriate auto liability insurance coverage. Background check will be required.
- Must reside in Dubuque County within six (6) months of hire.
- Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of Public and Environmental Health, including state and local county laws, rules and regulations relating to community health, environmental protection, disaster planning and communicable disease.
- Interpersonal, organizational leadership, budget and management, and motivational skills are essential, along with strong independent judgment.
Compensation and Benefits
The anticipated starting salary range is $80,000 - $110,000 +/- DOQ. A comprehensive benefits package includes participation in the Iowa Public Employees’ Retirement System (IPERS), medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage (also available to dependents), life insurance, optional 457 deferred compensation plan, and flex spending. The County also offers paid vacation, holidays and sick leave. Partial remote work schedule options are available.
Apply online immediately at www.GovHRJobs.com with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references. The job is open until filled. Questions may be directed to Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA at 224-282-8306. Dubuque County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Salary: $80,000.00 - $110,000.00
Required Education: Bachelors
Posted: August 12, 2022